Layoff memo examples:
- Intel, 2006
- MySpace, 2009
- Starbucks, 2009, with annotations (indirect organizational plan)
- Time Inc., 2007 (shows cascading communication)
- Yahoo, 2008 (also see PPT slides sent to managers, download)
- Yahoo, 2010 (this time with capital letters!)
- Yahoo, 2012 (yet another)
- AOL, 2011
- LA Times, 2011
- Yahoo, 2012
- RealNetworks, 2012 (posted to Facebook)
Emails to customers about email security breach. Download 14 versions of this communication. Useful to show different companies' approaches to the same message (e.g., formatting, differences in tone, to what extent each is customized to the audience, level of detail, whether "Epsilon" is mentioned and how the company is described, etc.). I have asked students to work in small groups to compare three examples that I assign.
Fresh Direct explains service delivery failures following a snow storm.
Charles Trywhitt (British retailer) apologizes for a late order.
Three responses to an employee suggestion (written by students). Useful to discuss tone.
Lacoste responds to false coupon code issue.
Best Buy press release announcing CEO resignation.
Asiana Press Releases about the July 2013 crash.
Groupon CEO's farewell email to employees.
Yahoo's controversial email calling remote employees to the office.
Malaysia Airlines' statement about missing flight.